Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Trevor Bayne - Atlanta Preview



CORNELIUS, N.C. — It’s easy to forget No. 99 Aaron’s Dream Machine driver Trevor Bayne is 19-years-old. He acts and drives like a veteran but the Knoxville, Tenn., native showed up at Bristol Motor Speedway two weeks ago with braces. Since then the Diamond-Waltrip Racing driver lost 10 lbs. but still managed to score two top-10 finishes. This weekend Bayne visits Atlanta Motor Speedway hoping to continue his recent streak of good performances in the Nationwide Series. In the last 6 races, Bayne scored the fourth most points—the best of any non-Sprint Cup driver.


QUOTES

TREVOR BAYNE ON HIS BRACES: “I decided to get braces because I had a small gap between my two front teeth. It was just something that had been bothering me for the last couple of years. Since I am in front of the camera a lot I wanted my teeth to be perfect. When the orthodontist told me it would only take six months I was all in. I have only had them on for two weeks and the gap between my two front teeth is almost gone. By this time next year I will have the best smile of any NASCAR driver.”

WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN EATING SINCE: “I have lost 10 pounds since I got my braces. The first couple of days my teeth were so sore. I pretty much lived off mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese. Last weekend in Montreal was the first time I could actually bite down on food. I really didn’t think my teeth would be this sore. I just got them readjusted on Monday so I think I will be back to eating soft foods again this week. I am glad that I only have to wear them for six months and not a couple of years like a lot of people.”

ON ATLANTA: “Atlanta is probably one of my favorite tracks on the circuit. Last year we were really fast right off the truck. I like it because its really fast but the race track isn’t smooth it has it’s own unique characteristics I like how your car slide all over the race track. You really have to search around for a groove that has the most grip for your car. You want to get you car working good on the long runs. As the run goes on the less grip you will have. You have to be able to be able to carry a lot of corner speed and the car has to work good over the bumps.”

ADDITIONAL NOTES OF INTEREST

• Gary and Blake Bechtel along with Michael Waltrip Racing own Diamond-Waltrip Racing. It fields Toyota Camrys out of the MWR shop in Cornelius, N.C. The Bechtels have owned cars in the Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series since 1990. The Morgan Hill, California residents’ teams have visited victory lane 10 times in the Nationwide Series.

• Bayne started seventh and finished 16th in his lone Atlanta Motor appearance in 2009.

• Bayne owns 40 NNS starts. He has four poles (Indianapolis –2009, 2010, Gateway—2010 and Iowa 2010), four top-fives and 10 top-10s and has led 129 laps. His best finish (third) came at Gateway International Raceway on July 17.

• In the last six races Bayne has scored two poles, two top-five and four top-10 finishes. He has also scored the fourth most points and has an average starting position of 11tth and a average finishing position of 10.8.

• Aaron’s, proud sponsor of the No. 99, will give away an autographed hat to a lucky race fan through Facebook and Twitter following any top-10 finish. Follow Aaron’s on Twitter (@aaronssports) and become a fan on Facebook (Facebook.com/AaronsSports).

No comments:

Post a Comment