Tuesday, September 07, 2010
Trevor Bayne - Richmond Preview
CORNELIUS, N.C. — No. 99 OUT! Pet Care driver Trevor Bayne races at Richmond International Raceway Friday night in the third of four 2010 races featuring the NASCAR Nationwide Series’ new car. The Knoxville, Tenn., native raced in the top five at Michigan and the top 10 in Daytona in previous appearances of the safer, more cost efficient car that will run full-time in 2011.
Racing the new or old car doesn't seem to matter to the 19-year-old Diamond-Waltrip Racing driver who’s scored the fifth most points of any driver in the last 10 Nationwide races posting three poles, three top-fives and five top-10 finishes.
TREVOR BAYNE ON RACING THE NEW CAR AT RICHMOND: “We tested the new car at Milwaukee a couple of months ago and we were pretty fast. I am hoping our information from Milwaukee can transfer over to Richmond. The new car seems to turn really well on short tracks and I think they will be really fun to drive at Richmond. However, I think we will fight forward bite this weekend. Whoever has the best forward bite and can turn the center will fight for the win at Richmond.”
BAYNE ON GOALS FOR THE FINAL RACES OF THE SEASON: “I think our goal is to win a race in the last nine races. We want to continue to be consistent and run for top five each week. I think if we can run top five each week the wins will start to come around. I would really like to be top five in the drivers’ points and top 10 in the owners’ points by the end of the season. It would be pretty cool to be recognized at the awards banquet in my first full season of Nationwide racing.”
CREW CHIEF JERRY BAXTER ON THE NEW CAR: “Our new car program is pretty solid. We have had some success early. Since the new car is so similar to the cup car we are able to use a lot of information from the cup program. With the car we run right now everything is so different that we don’t have all the support. With the new car we have a lot right in front of us so it’s a lot easier to get the cars set up to be successful.”
NOTES OF INTEREST
• Gary and Blake Bechtel along with Michael Waltrip Racing own Diamond-Waltrip Racing that fields Toyota Camrys out of the MWR shop in Cornelius, N.C. The Bechtels have owned cars in the Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series since 1990. The Morgan Hill, California residents’ teams have visited victory lane 10 times in the Nationwide Series.
• Bayne will participate in a NNS new car “Tech Talk” at the Nationwide Insurance mobile display unit in the FanZone on Friday at 3 p.m.
• Bayne will participate in an autograph session on Thursday from 4:30-5:15 p.m. in the amphitheater area.
• Bayne has two starts at Richmond. His best finish came in Sept. 2009 when he started ninth and finished seventh. In April he started sixth and finished 21st.
• Bayne owns 41 NNS starts. He has four poles (Indianapolis –2009, 2010, Gateway—2010 and Iowa 2010), four top-fives and 10 top-10s and has led 129 laps. His best finish (third) came at Gateway International Raceway on July 17.