Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Waltrip Previews Richmond International Raceway's Crown Royal 400


NAPA RACING PRESS BOX FEATURING MICHAEL WALTRIP

The No. 55 NAPA AUTO PARTS Toyota Camry will have a different look for Richmond as well as Darlington. What’s on the hood?
“I have a new paint scheme on my car for the next two weeks. NAPA doesn’t do that very often with their car. However, we’re going to have a NAPA Adaptive One Brake Pads paint scheme. Look for that on my car this weekend and next. Adaptive One Brake Pads provides superior stopping power without a lot of noise or brake dust. Fans can go to AdaptiveOne.com for details and a rebate.”

What are your thoughts heading into this weekend’s race at Richmond?
“Richmond is a great track for me. I love it. It is one of my favorites. I am looking forward to seeing how the No. 00 Aaron’s Dream Machine team will do since David Reutimann led the most laps there last fall. It’s a unique venue. It has options and that is all a driver really wants. I can run high. I can run low. Richmond offers more options than any other track you can think of. You can run right up next to the wall. You can dive low. Inevitably, I believe the guy that is going to win the race on Saturday night will be on the bottom.”

Thursday night at 8 p.m. your guest appearance on the NBC sitcom, “My Name is Earl” airs. How was that experience?
“Over the years I have been real fortunate to make some great TV commercials for some wonderful companies like NAPA AUTO PARTS, Aaron’s, Best Western, Coca-Cola and Toyota. When I did those commercials I like to think I am acting, but it’s not a whole lot of acting. I’m pretty much being a goofball. But, I think this opportunity on My Name is Earl is the next step for me. I can’t believe it happened. It was so much fun! It was cool to have Geraldo Rivera asking me questions as part of the storyline and then to actually get to work with Jason Lee and everybody on the show was a real honor. I enjoyed stepping out of my world for a few days. In my opinion, the show is an instant classic. I promise you that the demographics of a My Name is Earl fan, a NASCAR fan and a NASCAR driver are pretty identical. I think when people see my guest appearance on the show; they’ll understand why I am doing it.”

You played yourself. What was the premise of you being in Camden?
“A few years ago I met Ernie at a NAPA store appearance and we struck up a friendship so any time I was traveling through Camden I would stop in and see Ernie. I just happened to be in town the night that Ernie disappeared. Randy and Earl end up getting in big trouble, but I get them out of it as I can provide them with an alibi.”

Michael Waltrip Fast Facts

NAPA AUTO PARTS driver Michael Waltrip will start in his 735th NASCAR Sprint Cup race when he competes in the Crown Royal 400 at Richmond International Raceway in Richmond, Va.

The No. 55 Toyota Camry will boast a new paint scheme at Richmond and Darlington. NAPA Adaptive One Brake Pads will be Waltrip’s car. Adaptive One Brake Pads are designed to reduce noise and brake dust without sacrificing the ‘stop-on-a-dime’ braking power. During the month of May, NAPA is offering a great rebate on a four-wheel brake job using NAPA’s Adaptive One Brake Pads. For details, go to AdaptiveOne.com for all the rebate details.

Waltrip will start in his 44th race at the .75-mile track. His best start is second (Sept. 9, 1990) and best finish is ninth in the NAPA machine on May 14, 2005.

During his Cup career at RIR, Waltrip has earned two top-10 and 21 top-25 finishes. His average start is 24th and finish is 25th.

Waltrip has completed 15,320 of 17,203 laps (89.1%) at the track and has led a total of 81 laps in competition.

Entering this week’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series event, Waltrip is 24th in the driver and owner points standings. The NAPA is guaranteed a starting spot in Saturday night’s race.

EVENT FACTS
Race: 10 of 36
Crown Royal 400
Richmond Intl Raceway

Length: .75 mile-oval

Distance: 400 laps/300 miles

Date: Saturday, May 2

Time: 7 p.m. ET

TV: FOX
Radio: MRN; Sirius XM Satellite Radio, Ch. 128

NOTABLES
Cup Qualifying
Friday, May 1 at 5:30 p.m.
SPEED

Cup Practices
Friday, May 1 at 12 p.m. &
2 p.m.
SPEED

Media Alert: Michael will make his acting debut on the first of a two-part episode of the NBC sitcom, My Name is Earl. “Inside Probe Part 1” will air Thursday night at 8 p.m.

He will also be on the set of NASCAR Race Day on SPEED. Michael will be talking about his new NAPA paint scheme for Richmond and Darlington. The show will air on Saturday from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

To access the NAPA Racing media guide online, please visit: www.napasponsorship.com

1 comment:

  1. I love the NAPA paint scheme this year with the extra yellow. Can't wait to see this one Saturday night.

    ReplyDelete