PRISM Motorsports -owned by Phil Parsons and Randy Humphrey- will field the No. 55 for Waltrip and the No. 66 for Dave Blaney at Talladega. Michael Waltrip Racing sells cars and technology to PRISM. Waltrip owns 762 Sprint Cup starts and finished 18th in the Daytona 500 on Feb. 14.
WALTRIP ON RACING AT TALLADEGA: “Just having the chance to go to a place where I have won before like Talladega and being in a car that I know I can win again is a wonderful feeling. Daytona was cool. We got up to 12th on the last lap, had a solid shot for a top 10 on the final lap but got banged around a bit. I know we are going to be that competitive on Sunday at Talladega.”
AARON’S 499: “It’s a big weekend for Aaron’s. Aaron’s has been a great partner of MWR and the community over the years. Not only do I get to race the Aaron’s 55th anniversary car in the Aaron’s 499 on Sunday, but (MWR driver) David (Reutimann) gets to run the Aaron’s “University of Alabama National Championship” car. It’s going to be a busy weekend at Talladega.”
ON PRISM: “Phil (Parsons) and (co-owner) Randy Humphrey are getting started at PRISM Motorsports and I hope I can help them move through the learning curve a little bit faster. I think it is going to be a lot of fun. Talladega is some of the best racing in the world and I’m glad I’ll get to be part of it in the Aaron’s 55th Anniversary Toyota.”
ADDITIONAL NOTES OF INTEREST
• This season Waltrip has devoted more time to ownership of Michael Waltrip Racing which fields Toyotas for David Reutimann’s No. 00 Aaron’s Dream Machine and Martin Truex Jr.’s No. 56 NAPA AUTO PARTS entry. In addition, Waltrip’s time is spent as an analyst on Showtime’s “Inside NASCAR” (Wednesdays at 10 p.m.) and SPEED’s weekly talent show “Fast Track to Fame” (Monday’s at 8 p.m.) as well as joining Parsons as a television commentator in SPEED’s coverage of truck series races.
• Sunday marks the first time Waltrip has raced with Aaron’s as his primary sponsor in a Sprint cup race. The Atlanta-based company has long served as primary sponsor on his Nationwide cars.
• The Kentucky Athletic Hall of Fame will induct Waltrip on April 28 in Louisville.
• Waltrip and brother Darrell will host the Waltrip Brothers Charity Golf Tournament and Dinner on June 2, 3 in Nashville.
• Waltrip will participate in the Goodwood Festival of Speed in England on July 1.
• Waltrip along with MWR Co-owner Rob Kauffman will drive a Ferrari sports car at Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium on July 31. The pair raced in Dubai in January.
• Waltrip (@mw55) has more than 37,000 followers on Twitter.