David Reutimann posted the fastest lap of the two Michael Waltrip Racing Toyotas during today’s Coors Light qualifying at the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif. He’ll line up 11th. Meanwhile, Martin Truex Jr. struggled during his attempt despite picking up from practice. He’ll start 34th. Sunday’s running of the California Auto Club 500 presented by NAPA gets underway on FOX, MRN and Sirius XM Satellite Radio 128 starting at 3 p.m. Eastern time.
• David Reutimann, No. 00 Aaron’s Dream Machine Toyota Camry - Qualified 11th
• Martin Truex Jr., No. 56 NAPA AUTO PARTS Toyota Camry - Qualified 34th
• Michael Waltrip Racing’s technical alliance with JTG Daugherty Racing saw Marcos Ambrose record the 26th-fastest lap.
• Earnhardt Ganassi with Felix Sabates Racing swept the front row. Daytona 500 winner Jamie McMurray turned in the fastest time of 39.18 seconds while Juan Pablo Montoya ran a 39.29.
• This marks the first time that Earnhardt Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates has claimed both front row starting positions.
DAVID REUTIMANN, No. 00 Aaron’s Dream Machine Toyota Camry, Michael Waltrip Racing Qualified: 11th
How was your qualifying lap? “I'm pretty happy with how we qualified. We still have some work to do between now and Sunday on our race setup, but I'm happy with how the Aaron's Dream Machine qualified. Our Toyota wasn't han¬dling the way we wanted to in practice. We haven't quite figured out some things in the front end, so we have to do some work on that, but I'm sure we'll get it right by Sunday and be ready to go."
MARTIN TRUEX JR., No. 56 NAPA AUTO PARTS Toyota Camry, Michael Waltrip Racing Qualified: 34th
How was your qualifying lap? “We weren’t very good. It was too tight everywhere so in a way, that’s a good thing. We can fix it. We were tightest off of Turn 2 and in practice, I was spinning out. It’s been a struggle all day so we still have a lot of work to do. Hopefully, we’ll get practice in tomorrow so we can keep working on it.”