David Reutimann posted the fastest lap of the two Michael Waltrip Racing Toyotas during today’s Coors Light qualifying at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in Las Vegas, Nev. He’ll line up 17th. Meanwhile, Martin Truex Jr. struggled during his attempt due to a mechanical issue. He’ll start 35th. Sunday’s running of the Shelby American 400 gets underway on FOX, PRN and Sirius XM Satellite Radio 128 starting at 3 p.m. Eastern time.
• David Reutimann, No. 00 Aaron’s Dream Machine Toyota Camry - Qualified 17th
• Martin Truex Jr., No. 56 NAPAGold Filters Toyota Camry - Qualified 35th
• Kurt Busch established a new track record with a time of 28.614 sec./188.719 mph
• Jeff Gordon will join Busch on the front row.
• 18 drivers ran times faster than the previous track record
• The increase in speed is being attributed to a new Goodyear tire.
DAVID REUTIMANN, No. 00 TUMS Toyota Camry, Michael Waltrip Racing Qualified: 17th
Were you happy with the way your car handled during qualifying?
“We were just tight. We didn’t get a really clean qualifying run (in practice) and that hurt us. You go out there not really knowing what to expect. The car was pretty good. I should have been able to run quicker that with it. It was a little bit too tight and we just really didn’t get that qualifying run in to be able to work on it, and let the car be up to its full potential. Overall, it wasn’t bad. It didn’t drive bad. This place is so fast it doesn’t take much to be off a little bit, as far as speed goes. This is kind of what we had.”
MARTIN TRUEX JR., No. 56 NAPAGold Filters Toyota Camry, Michael Waltrip Racing Qualified: 35th
How was your qualifying lap?
“The car was pretty good. We really had a good car all day. Just the ignition switch cut off on me coming to the green. So, that pretty much killed my lap. That’s pretty much it.”