- Trevor Bayne, No. 99 Diamond-Waltrip Racing Toyota Camry - finished 16th - now 11th in points.
Trevor Bayne Race Summary: Rising star Trevor Bayne almost had the track “too tough to tame” tamed in Friday night’s Royal Purple 200. After qualifying the No. 99 Diamond-Waltrip Racing Toyota in the top 10 for the second consecutive week, the 19-year-old driver settled into the top 12. When the first pit stops rolled around on lap 27, crew chief Jerry Baxter made several adjustments to help with a tight-handling condition. As the race progressed, the No. 99 Toyota continued to gain ground and found itself inside the top-10 racing in fifth with just 50 laps remaining. Unfortunately, Bayne made contact with Matt Kenseth on lap 129 and brought out the eighth caution of the night. The No. 99 Toyota was forced to pit road for right-side tires and had to restart 23rd with just under 15 laps remaining. Bayne was able to grab seven spots in the final laps to finish 16th. He also jumped another spot to 11th in the NASCAR Nationwide Series championship point standings.
NNS Racing Results
- Denny Hamlin won the Royal Purple 200, his 10th victory in 121 NNS starts.
- This is his first victory and second top-10 finish in 2010
- This is his third victory and fifth top-10 finish in five races at Darlington Raceway
- Kyle Busch (second) posted his third top-10 finish in seven races at Darlington Raceway.
- Jamie McMurray, Kasey Kahne and Jason Leffler rounded out the top five
- The race featured nine lead changes among seven drivers.
- The race was slowed by nine cautions for a total of 42 laps.
- NASCAR estimated 26,000 race fans in attendance at Darlington.
TREVOR BAYNE, No. 99 Diamond-Waltrip Racing Toyota
- Bayne started ninth and finished 16th
- One of only three NNS regulars to start in the top 10
- Second consecutive top 10 start
- Ran inside the top 10 for the majority of the race
- Worked his way into the top five on lap 96
- Was involved in an incident with Matt Kenseth on lap 129 and was forced to make an unscheduled pit stop for left side tires. Bayne restarted 23rd
- Grabbed seven spots in the closing laps to finish 16th