Tuesday, June 08, 2010
David Reutimann - Michigan Preview
- Reutimann has scored the fifth most points of any driver in the last six races.
- He’s gained 11 points positions in those six races, also the most of any driver.
ON THE PAST SIX RACES – ALL TOP-15s, INCLUDING TWO TOP-FIVES: “I think Pocono was the exception, because we really struggled but still ended up getting a decent finish out of it. We need to avoid the weeks like we had at Pocono and get on the other side of it. I feel like our Aaron’s team has the chance to be consistent and has been consistent for the most part the last six weeks. The hard part is to keep getting a decent finish even if you’re having a tough weekend. It’s easy to be consistent when things are going right, but when they’re not going well you have to make the most of the situation and get a decent finish.
“If you have a day like we did at Pocono when things aren’t going right that’s when it becomes a struggle. But my guys have done good. They worked on the car to make it better and kept adjusting on it until it was good, or at least better – I’m not sure we ever got good, but we made it a lot better. I feel like we’re on track. I feel like they’re doing a good job. Sometimes you’re just off a little bit like we were at Pocono, but you make the most of it and I can tell you that we won’t be off like that again when we go back in a couple weeks. I think we learned a lot from that experience.”
ON THE POTENTIAL TO GAIN GROUND ON THE TOP-12 IN THE COMING WEEKS: “We lost a little ground at Pocono, but we just have to keep at it. We have 12 more races to gain back 145 points. It’s not impossible. We have some good races coming up for us in Michigan, New Hampshire, Chicago and Daytona, but we also have a couple that historically have not been as kind to us in the road courses. We just have to make up for lost time. It’s hard to play catch up in this deal, but I know the Aaron’s team can gain some ground back.”
ADDITIONAL NOTES OF INTEREST
- In the last six point races, Reutimann has scored 817 points - fifth most of any driver and moved from 30th in points to 19th. He is one of only five drivers to finish on the lead lap of the last six races and collected 20 bonus points for leading laps in four of the six. Reutimann has six straight top-15 finishes, including top-fives at Dover and Charlotte.
- After Texas, Reutimann trailed the top-12 by 218 points, now he is heading to Michigan trailing the top-12 by just 146 points - shaving 72 points in six races.
- Reutimann has six career starts at Michigan International Speedway. He has one top-five and two top-10 qualifying efforts and one top-10 and three top-15 finishes. His best Michigan finish was last fall where he led four laps and finished ninth.
- Reutimann spent Tuesday testing at Gresham Motorsports Park in Jefferson, Ga. and Wednesday participating in Tony Stewart’s Prelude to the Dream event at Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio.
- Reutimann has finished 20th or better in 10 of the 11 races that he has been running at the finish in 2010—and 15th or better in nine of the 11. Reutimann’s lowest finish in a race that he finished was 28th at Martinsville.