Friday, June 25, 2010

Truexs Visit New Hampshire Media Center


Martin Sr., Martin Jr. and Ryan Truex visited the New Hampshire Speedway media center on Friday to discuss Ryan's  July 17 Nationwide Series debut.

RYAN TRUEX, No. 00 Toyota Camry, Michael Waltrip Racing

NOTE: Ryan Truex will make his NNS debut at Gateway International Raceway in July 17, 2010

How big of an opportunity is it for you to race in the Nationwide Series?

“It is a really big opportunity and I’m just excited to get started. I can’t wait to get the first race started – Gateway on July 17. I just can’t thank everyone enough at MWR (Michael Waltrip Racing) for giving me this opportunity. Three years ago I remember racing a Legend car at Wall Stadium in New Jersey and now I’m here. It’s hard to believe how fast it’s come, but I’m excited, ready to get started and make the most of my opportunity.”

Do you feel pressure from your brother because he has won two NNS championships?

“It’s pretty big shoes to fill. I don’t expect to go out and set the world on fire. I know it’s not going to happen. I’m just going to get my feet wet and just try to get as much experience as I can. I’m not going to go in and think I can run top-10 or top-five or anything like that. It’s a tough series. It took him (Martin Truex Jr.) a lot of starts to figure it out. It’s going to be tough. I put more pressure on myself than anything just to run as good as him just because of the last name and everything. I’m just going to go and try to do the best that I can.”

MARTIN TRUEX JR., No. 56 NAPA AUTO PARTS Toyota Camry, Michael Waltrip Racing

Are you coaching Ryan Truex for his Nationwide start?

“I’m not sure where we race that weekend. It’s been fun to watch Ryan (Truex) progress. Like he said, he hasn’t been doing this very long and he’s come a long way as a driver. He’s been impressive on the race track and behind the wheel. All the things that he’s done has led to this point. I’ll coach if he needs help, but he’s done a great job so far and he’s got a great team behind him. I look forward to watching him make his first start in the Nationwide Series.”

Do you have any ownership in Ryan Truex’s NNS car?

“As of right now, I’m not sure how it’s working to be honest with you. We’re working with MWR (Michael Waltrip Racing) in anyway possible to get Ryan (Truex) on the race track. Me and my dad were the owners of the East team before MWR stepped in and said, ‘Hey, we would like to do this with you.’ They’ve been very gracious and been a big part of Ryan’s career, obviously. I think we kind of have a small part in the Nationwide deal, but not nearly as much as the East deal.”

MARTIN TRUEX SR.

How do you feel about your youngest son making his Nationwide Series start?

“I am very proud of him. In the early days I wasn’t sure this is what he wanted to do and I really never coaxed him to do it. When he was about 14 years old, he decided he wanted to race. I wasn’t real happy about it, but we’re proud of what he’s doing and he’s really come a long way in a short time. I think he’s really got some true talent. As we progress up the ladder, we’ll see what he has.”

No comments:

Post a Comment